D.H. Hill Library, North Carolina State University. 2011-2012.
FIELD EXPERIENCE INTERN. January-May 2012.
- Independently and collaboratively designed and instructed basic and advanced library and scholarly research practice workshops and course-integrated classes in physical and virtual classrooms. Taught classes such as ENG 101 and upper level science writing courses, as well as graduate level programs in Higher Education and Family and Youth Development.
- Facilitated library scavenger hunts for freshmen using iPod Touches and cloud-based apps.
- Held one-on-one research consultations with graduate students.
- Developed video tutorials on advanced research tips for students.
GRADUATE ASSISTANT. 2011 – 2012.
- Independently opened, ran, and closed the reference desk, assisted patrons in person, via phone and LibraryH3lp chat service.
- Provided late night chat reference service to patrons of North Carolina State University, Duke University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, through NightOwl Service.
- Collaborated and coordinated with professional librarians and student technical assistants to perform triage addressing multiple student, faculty, and patron needs.
GRADUATE ASSISTANT. NORTH CAROLINA DIGITAL HERITAGE CENTER. 2010 – 2012.
- Headed a user experience project to create help videos and tutorials for the DigitalNC website.
- Developed a project management standard and website which improved collaboration and communication among NC Digital Heritage Center employees.
- Facilitated the application of National Digitization Newspaper Project standards to NC Digital Heritage Center newspaper digitization projects.
- Publicized materials through social media; analyzed and reported website statistics to supervisors.
- Handled and digitized various archival materials including photographs, negatives, newspapers, scrapbooks, samplers and yearbooks. Trained coworkers in specialized digitization equipment and processing software.
SPECIAL PROJECTS INTERN. GETTYSBURG CAMPUS LIBRARY, HARRISBURG AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE, GETTYSBURG, PA. JUNE – AUGUST 2010.
- Analyzed website function and design and developed new web pages and LibGuides.
- Served as the nighttime reference librarian to provide service to students and community members.
Musselman Library, Gettysburg College. 2009-2010
BARBARA HOLLEY INTERN. TECHNICAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT. MAY – AUGUST 2010.
- Cataloged the Hobor Collection, a newly acquired gift collection of books on aspects of Chinese history, culture, politics, art, language, and other topics of emerging interest.
- Created MARC records using AACR2 standards and processed materials to be released into the collection.
ESTHER KENYON FORTENBAUGH INTERN. SPECIAL COLLECTIONS AND COLLEGE ARCHIVES. JANUARY – MAY 2010.
- Processed and digitized collections, organized information using CONTENTdm.
- Created metadata and finding aids, and conducted research in the college archives.
STUDENT SUPERVISOR. USER SERVICES DEPARTMENT. MAY 2009 – AUGUST 2010.
- Coordinated, supervised and trained five students working in the Interlibrary Loan Department and at the Circulation Desk.
- Opened, staffed, and closed the service desk, processed incoming and outgoing interlibrary loan requests.
ESTHER KENYON FORTENBAUGH INTERN, AND REFERENCE SPECIALIST. REFERENCE AND INSTRUCTION DEPARTMENT. 2009.
- Staffed the Reference Desk and shifts on Ask-Here-PA, an online chat reference service via QuestionPoint.
- Assisted in expanding the Reference print and electronic collections.
- Improved the library website, including a reevaluation of the Subject Guides, designing a new layout for the Political Science Subject Guide, and creating a guide for Islamic Studies.
- Conceptualized and executed student events for National Library Week and a study break event for students during final exams.
STUDENT INTERN, ADAMS COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, GETTYSBURG, PA. JANUARY – MAY 2008.
- Accessioned and cataloged objects; digitized library and National Park Service documents.
- Conducted research on the history of Adams County for a new museum exhibit.
- Provided reference service to researchers in using the Society collections.
RESEARCH ASSISTANT AND EVENT PLANNER. HISTORY DEPARTMENT, GETTYSBURG COLLEGE. 2007 – 2010.
- Organized and conducted the logistical planning, advertisement, registration, and administration of the annual World History Institute, a program for teachers of World History.
- Created and designed the WHI website, and enhanced the departmental website.