O’English, L. and McCord, S. (2006). “Getting in on the Game: Partnering with a University Athletics Department.” Libraries and the Academy, 6(2), 143-153.
Major takeaways and ideas:
- Tours for prospective students. I already know that there are some VCU coaches who bring prospective coaches into the library, why not work together and if not have a librarian do a tour, at least meet one?
- Advertise leisure reading for bus and plane rides
- Create some major marketing tactics. Don’t jump in without a plan.
- Libraries sponsor a student athlete of the week – maybe a student athlete of the month/year/semester?
- Work with coaches/athletic department for nominations. Based on GPA, performance in sport, sportsmanlike conduct, leadership, service?
- Eventually get buy in for a game-day marketing program – advertising the library at sporting events
- at Washington State University, the number of donors who gave to both athletics and the libraries nearly doubled due to this effort.