I made these salted caramel cupcakes for our Public Services potluck party this week. I purposefully made them mini cupcakes, because at parties where there is tons of other food, I’ve noticed that people don’t want big cupcakes. They were a huge hit! Definitely keeping them on the list for the future.
1 Box White Cake Mix
1/2 cup oil
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
2-3 cups powdered sugar (I never measure, I just keep adding it in until I get the texture I want)
Salted peanuts to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Gently combine oil. eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract.
3. Sift in cake mix and stir until combined,
4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until knife comes out clean.
5. Caramel Frosting: Melt butter in a small saucepan, add brown sugar and heavy cream. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and let cool. Beat in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. (If you want, save a little caramel to drizzle over the top of your cupcakes.)
6. Add icing to cupcakes, top with peanuts.
Recipe modified from Your Cup of Cake.